We last talked about this art piece in my post called Bits and Pieces, AQ # 33 Part Two. By the end of the day I had finished stitching together a grouping of fabric strips. Even though I was eager to continue, family activities took precedence. I’m back in my studio and ready to work on my project again. Let’s not waste anymore time!
One of Many
These stitched together fabric strips were the starting point for today.
The above block is an example of one of the units I made. In this photo (besides the shadow of my camera, 🙂 ) you can see the center red, green and black unit. The unit is temporarily resting on a background of green fabric. The strips extending beyond the sides were waiting to be removed. The green background was eventually cut into strips and added to all four sides of the main block.
In this photo you can see that I kept going and going and going. I was on quite a roll when I paused to take this picture. I can’t tell you how pleased I was with my progress.
Using some of the scraps and a few added solid colors I created a Log Cabin block.
I wasn’t particularly fond of the outcome so I decided to slice it up, spin some of the pieces around and stitch them back together. You will also note that I have added in some solid colors. Gasp! I know the solid colors were not included in my recently purchased bag of scraps. Even though my mantra was to use all of the scraps in this piece I never said I wouldn’t add others to the mix. 🙂 A girls gotta to do what she has to make a spectacular work of art.
My faux Log Cabin block still wasn’t quite up to par so I sliced it again and asked myself, “What if.” What if I added this jazzy gold fabric in a couple of places. Hmmm! I kind of liked that but I wanted to make sure it was repeated in at least three areas. Time to do a little more adjusting.
In this photo you will notice several things. First of all in the bottom right corner you will see my finished faux Log Cabin block. You will also notice that I have been very busy making more units or blocks. This is one of the most enjoyable aspects of creating improv art.
Take a closer look at the photo and you can see there are hints of the original strip fabric in many of the blocks above.
By the end of the day this is what my conglomerate looked like. The difference between this photo and the one above are the fabrics I am auditioning as potential additions. These would be used as fillers for some of the gaps. I’m not sure if they will stay but at least for now they add a nice touch.
Let’s Call It A Day!
Even though I wanted to keep going I was exhausted by this point. After all this work it was time to call it a day. There’s always tomorrow!
Thanks so much for reading my post! I’m so glad we got to spend the time together. See you next time! 🙂