Turning remnants of previous projects into new art pieces is one of my specialties. I’ve made so many that I’ve lost track of the count.
The First One
The first art piece to emerge from the scrap bin was this one.
I’ve named it Windows because the staggered pieces of hand-dyed batik remind me of the windows one might see in a high-rise office building.
Surrounding the batik scraps is a bright gold shot cotton. The border immediately adjacent is blue. This blue cotton was selected to match the printing in the batik.
Windows measures 21 1/8″ long x 10 3/8″ wide.
The hand-dyed batik rectangles along with the gold shot cotton were quilted with a straight-line pattern using a coordinating thread.
In the outer border I also used a matching thread to stitch a straight line motif for it’s quilting.
All of the quilting was done on my conventional sewing machine.
The Quilt Sandwich
Used inside the quilt sandwich was a fusible black batting. On the back of my art piece is a black cotton fabric. The raw edges have been protected by a black facing. Of course I’ve also attached a hanging sleeve and a label identifying my piece.
I think Art Piece # 60: Windows turned a group of discarded batik scraps into a striking new specimen. I’m very proud of this new member.
Next time I will reveal the second rebirth in this series.
Thank You for visiting! If you have any questions or comments please feel free to add them to my post. I always look forward to reading your responses.
Talk with you soon!