“Once in a blue moon” is a well-known idiom. The phrase refers to the occurrence of a second full moon within a calendar month. This phenomena only happens about once every thirty-two months.
The phrase “Once in a Blue Moon” was the inspiration for today’s art quilt. Initially begun at the Pam Beal Minimalist Design, Maximum Impact class, this project took on a whimsical nature with the addition of an unusual embellishment and fabric strip.
A quick glance at the above photo reveals the presence of a vertical navy blue section of fabric with the word Moo repeatedly printed on its surface. This piece of fabric gave me the idea to call my project Once In a Blue
A careful tour of the 7 3/4 x 7 3/4” art quilt will reveal:
- the presence of a multi-colored barn with;
- a stylish, wood-grained, teal door;
- sporting a teal zipper pull to act as the door’s handle;
- a chimney fashioned from a tiny teal fabric scrap;
- a grassy base represented by the fringed, teal, horizontal, fabric strip;
- cleverly applied hand quilting using both matching and coordinating colors (note the stitches used to represent smoke arising from the chimney);
- as well as a machine applied zig-zag stitch to secure raw edges.
All of these added elements helped to make this special art quilt a great addition to my portfolio. I hope that after you have examined each of my design elements you too will be able to grasp my vision.
Thank You for sharing your time!
6 thoughts on “Once In A Blue Moo, AP # 81”
This is Beautiful, all my favourite colours. Love it 😍
Thank you! I’m glad you like it! 😊
Yes, I think I get it, and I do love the Moo strip on the side of the barn. Nicely finished!
Thank you! I knew you would figure it out. 😊
Hi Cindy! I love the zip pull used as the barn door opener. This is clever and fun. The Moo reminds me of Joey on Friends – it’s a moo point instead of moot point. This would definitely make me smile each time I saw it, as I’m sure it does you as well. ~smile~ Roseanne
Thanks Roseanne! That is really cute that you mentioned Friends. We are big fans of the show. We watch it often. 😊