My blog was started as a platform to share my successes and disappointments with the art of longarm quilting. Late in 2019, after seven years of offering my services to my fellow quilting enthusiasts, I decided to stop. In fact my longarm quilt machine has sat idle since May, 2019, with one of my own quilts loaded on the rolls and patiently waiting to be finished.
Even though my longarm machine has been quiet my studio has not. I’ve poured my efforts into wrapping up as many unfinished projects as possible and into creating smaller, easier to handle fiber art pieces. Their smaller size lets me easily transport and work on them wherever I go. I take them with me to my Little Cabin In The Woods, and anywhere else that I will have an extended downtime.
Seven More Specimens:
My love of designing and working with the smaller specimens has distracted me from writing about them here. For more than a year my completed art projects have been stockpiled just waiting for the spotlight. Over the last few weeks I have been setting aside time to share my triumphs. Being share today are seven more specimens.
Yellow Tail, Art Piece # 150:
Titled Yellow Tail because of the dangling yellow thread, this composition was created using three layers of material; a green felt, an orange batik and a yellow/gold batik. All three layers were secured in place with hand stitching. The entire art piece was attached to an 8”x10” stretched canvas frame.
Yellow Corset, Art Piece # 151
This simple little art piece was created using a layer of green felt, a gathered section of synthetic gold fabric, a small strip of orange batik and one lime green zipper pull. The stretchy gold fabric reminded me of a corset and as a result I used that image as the inspiration for the title. Decorative hand stitching was used to both secure the elements in place and add visual interest. This fiber art piece measures 8”x10”.
Poppies, Art Piece # 153:
Attached to an 8”x10” stretched canvas frame this small specimen was assembled from two fabrics: a rectangle of green felt and a hand-dyed cotton fabric. The pattern and colors achieved through the fabric dyeing process brought back memories of my mother’s poppy garden. To draw more attention to the small orange spheres I embellished them with French knots. Also incorporated were several yellow French knots and array of other hand stitches.
Bolo Tie, Art Piece # 154:
Contained within this composition is a rectangle of green felt, a multi-colored strip of fabric and a hand dyed strip of rickrack. The green felt was secured to an 8”x10” stretched canvas frame using a simple running stitch. The remaining items were attached with French knots. Two blue strings dangle on either side of the folded fabric center. The blue strings combined with the folded fabric reminded me of a bolo tie; thus the origin of the projects title.
All Dressed Up, Art Piece # 156:
This 8”x10” art piece is All Dressed Up with an unusual grouping of elements. Serving as its base is a felted wool coaster. Directly above that is a strip of multi-toned batik, two dotted fabrics: a brown with white and a white with metallic dots. Topping off the composition is a jazzy hand-made bead. The wool coaster was attached to the stretched canvas frame with small dashes of gold thread. Two gold X’s were used to secure the multi-toned batik and the gold dotted cotton was embellished with like colored French knots. The bead was also secured in place with hand stitching.
Road Trip, Art Piece # 157:
This 8”x10” fiber art piece was also assemble using a felted wool coaster for its base. Added for decorative interest was a strip of multi-toned brown batik and one gold snap. Multiple rows of running stitch were used to both secure the components in place as well as add visual interest. The vertically oriented blue area of color with its artistic stitching remind me of both a roadway as well as a meandering river. This association inspired me to title this item Road Trip.
Redemption, Art Piece # 158:
The word Redemption was printed on the white strip of fabric. The presence of that word is the reason for the title of this item. Created from a vertically placed strip of red plaid and a reclaimed remnant from a previous project this item’s elements are simple yet striking. Rows of running stitch were used to attach the wool plaid in place. The reclaimed, multi-sectioned fabric strip was adorned with black stitches and a single white French knot.
Before closing let me thank you for showing an interest in my activities. I am grateful for your participation and look forward to your comments.
Best wishes for a wonderful day!