Very early this year I challenged myself to update a number of my fiber art pieces. My goal was to improve their curb appeal and adjust their measurements to make them suitable for mounting on a stretched canvas frame.
The teeny tiny center, of this art specimen, could very easily have been tossed into the trash; the remnant was leftover from one of my earlier projects. Not wanting to waste a speck of color I challenged myself to turn it into something spectacular. In its original format, this small art piece was surrounded by a blue border and measured only 5” x 6 1/4”.
To elevate the status of this small art piece I sought out a combination of fabrics that would create an eye-catching ensemble. The first to be selected was a multi-colored batik. The colors included in the batik provided lots of inspiration for other companions. Pulled to accompany the batik was a beautiful lilac and a lively chartreuse.
A Wonderful Surprise:
After adding the three new borders I studied my composition to establish my next move. As I focused on the tiny fabric scraps I began to notice the image of a long-necked bird with a small purple beak. Once I identified that vision it was full speed ahead. The first change to take place was the orientation. In its original state the bird would have been positioned upside down. I solved that dilemma by simply turning the composition 180°. To fully outfit my stately bird I added a blue bead for an eye and spiraled locks of hair. Her coiffed hair is her most striking feature. The colors chosen for her locks were inspired by the three added borders.
Continuing on my quest for panache I embellished all four borders. The original blue material was decorated with a running stitch in a matching colored thread. On the lovely lilac, between the rows of machine stitching, I added color coordinated + signs. The bold chartreuse, rather glitzy all on its own, received an extra nudge as well. To this third border I added a simple running stitch. The fourth and final border was embellished with straight lines of machine-stitching.
I Christen Thee:
The regal bird, with her stately attire and her lavish furnishings, was an accomplishment beyond my imagination. In her former life she was known as Court House Friends # 10 of 14. The name recognized her former life as a repurposed ugly quilt block. Given the elevated status this gorgeous lady had achieved I simply couldn’t make her retain that name; that would be unheard of! To find a more appropriate identity I began auditioning names, pausing long enough to consider their suitability. After considering a number of options I decided to christen my feathered friend Esmerelda. The name sounds royal, which suits her perfectly.
Esmerelda sits on top of a 12” x 12” stretched canvas frame. To the back I added a protective layer of paper. The barrier serves as protection from dust and bugs. To make it easy for her to be displayed on a wall two d-rings and a length of wire were attached. Also present is silicone bumpers to provide ventilation and help her with stability.
Time to take a look at my latest triumph!
I am so happy that you were able to be here and witness the joyful unveiling of my newest accomplishment…Esmerelda!
Thank you for being my audience!
Esmerelda, Art Piece # 55
This one of a kind fiber art piece was created using a variety of cotton fabrics and stitching. The composition has been mounted on a 12” x 12” x 1 1/2” stretched canvas frame. The back of the frame is covered by paper. A saw-tooth hanger has been attached for ease of display.