Many years ago I created a number of small fiber art pieces, all of which were framed with facings or a binding. Early in 2020 I made the decision to remove those finishing touches from a number of my projects. My intention was to modify them to make each suitable for mounting on a stretched canvas frame. This specimen was one of the candidates.
two new borders:
In its new and improved state, the small quilt went from 5 3/4” x 8 3/4” to 11” x 14”. Two borders were added to facilitate the increase in size. Border number one is a lime green cotton. Surrounding that fabric is a lively, multi-colored border. The second border has some of the same colors as in the original design.
The original version of the small composition contained a combination of hand and machine quilting. Before mounting the new and improved fiber art piece on canvas I embellished the added borders with machine stitching. To the lime green border I added two rows of straight stitching using a variegated thread. The multi-colored cotton fabric has a continuous line of stitching that marches back and forth across the entire border using the same thread as was used in the first.
don’t fix it:
When this item was originally created I named it Ragged Edges. I chose to give the small art piece that identity because of the stacked fabric squares; all of them have raw edges. Even though the renovation added a huge splash of color the focus of the fiber art piece was still the same. There is a famous saying that says, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” So I didn’t fix it.
This is how my new and improved project looks now.
Before closing let me thank you for showing an interest in my activities. I am grateful for your participation and look forward to your comments.
Best wishes for a wonderful day!