Sentiments, Art Piece 117


Heidi Parkes a fiber artist from Milwaukee, Wisconsin was the instructor at one of the classes I attended. The class, held at Blue Bar Quilts, focused on the art of creating layered quilts using a sandwich of silk organza, fabric scraps, and cotton batting. The combined grouping was then secured with safety pins and hand quilted with a running stitch.

Sentiments is not the first of my fiber art pieces to utilize this method. The original specimen is called Wild Flowers, Art Piece # 73. After creating Wild Flowers I was so enamored with the technique that I decided to make a second item; that second item is Sentiments.

Sentiments began with the same base of cotton batting as did Wild Flowers. On top of the batting were placed scraps of fabric from my inventory. To add interest I intentionally cut strips containing sentiments or phrases. The strips were then scattered about the surface of the fabric scraps. I used a rainbow of colored threads to stitch first a circular motion in the center of my piece then cascading rows of stitching radiating out from there. To complete my piece I enveloped the four raw edges with a backing of muslin. For ease of display a hanging sleeve of muslin was added as well. Also included is a hand-stitched label containing the title, my name and the date my art piece was completed. Sentiments measures 15 1/2” x 15”.

I am proud to have added my second layered art quilt to my portfolio and to have had you here for the unveiling. I hope that you will feel inspired to share your thoughts by adding a comment.

With warm wishes for a wonderful day!

© 2012-2020 Cindy (Olp) Anderson and In A Stitch Quilting

Flowers In The Garden, Art Piece 116


Back in 2014 I belonged to the Madison Modern Quilt Guild. As a member of the guild I was entitled to participate in a Michael Miller fabric challenge. Each participant received a predetermined quantity of the challenge fabric. From my allotment I created the art piece I call Flowers In The Garden.

Take One of my Flowers In The Garden Art Piece # 116

Pictured above was my initial attempt at transforming the challenge fabric. As you can see not too much had happened. Had I left my piece in that state it would have been rather unexciting. From there my improvisational fiber art quilt morphed into what it is today.

Flowers In The Garden, Art Piece # 116 was pieced together using the Michael Miller challenge allotment along with fabric of my own. Comparing the first photo with those directly below you can see how drastically the art quilt changed. The center panel, which was surrounded by a coordinating gray border, was then quilted on my long-arm quilt machine (center photo) using a geometric pattern. The last photo shows the back of the art quilt. Rather than making it from a single piece of fabric I decided to incorporate the leftover scraps along with other matching specimens. Also visible on the back are four fabric corners. The corners were used, instead of the typical hanging sleeve, to allow the piece to be displayed on a wall in either a horizontal or vertical orientation. The last item I will mention is the label identifying the piece. Flowers In The Garden, Art Piece # 116 measures 26 1/4” x 19 3/4”.

Flowers In The Garden, Art Piece # 116 is a wonderful addition to my fiber art portfolio. I am thrilled that you were able to be present for its unveiling. If you feel inspired to share your thoughts please feel free to add a comment.

With warm wishes for a wonderful day!

© 2012-2020 Cindy (Olp) Anderson and In A Stitch Quilting

The Blue House, Art Piece 115


Way back in August, 2014 I was on a mission to transform an ugly quilt top into something beautiful. The center of the quilt top contained a block with a blue house. The blue house was my biggest obstacle.

The Blue House Renovation

After carefully disassembling the multiple borders and harvesting the blue house I began the process of its reincarnation. Over an extended period of time a number of new art quilts were created. This project titled The Blue House, Art Piece # 115 was one of them.

The Blue House, Art Piece # 115

Upon close inspection, of the above photo, you will notice where some of the fragments were incorporated. Securing those sections together were angled strips of fabric. Added for embellishment were several buttons, a teal floral rick rack, as well as machine and hand quilting. A gray binding was added to all four edges. On the back is a blue cotton print fabric, a fabric hanging sleeve and a label containing identifying information.

I am very proud to add this early experiment in ugly block transformation to my portfolio. Thank you for being present.

With warm wishes for a wonderful day!

Testing 1, 2, 3 Art Piece 114


Quite some time ago I participated in a class taught by Pam Beal at Woodland Ridge Retreat. The class Minimal Design, Maximum Impact focused on creating fiber art pieces that use a limited pallet of colors and/or design features. Today’s reveal has a limited color pallet but definitely not a limited number of stitches.

Testing 1, 2, 3 was assembled from test samples of four different construction methods: fabric strip manipulation, triangles, fractured circles and wedge piecing. All four were merged together to form this art quilt. The new creation was then surrounded by a border of black cotton fabric. Added for embellishment were four wool circles and a myriad of hand quilting stitches. Perle cotton was the primary thread used. To complete the fiber quilt an envelope of black cotton fabric was added to the back along with a hanging sleeve and a label with identifying features. Measuring 20 1/4” x 12 1/4” Testing 1, 2, 3 may be minimal in size but nowhere near minimal in impact.

Testing 1, 2, 3, Art Piece # 114

Thank you for showing your support by visiting my blog. I look forward to our continued relationship and your future comments.

With warm wishes for a wonderful day!