I’ve been sharing photos of my recently completed art pieces. On Tuesday we took a look at number five. Today’s post features the sixth of sixteen art pieces.
Materials: Fabric top and backing are 100% cotton
Batting: Warm & Natural
Dimensions: 8 1/8” L x 6” W
Quilting Stitch: Straight lines using white thread
Quilted On: Conventional sewing machine
After reading the details of this mini quilt I bet you are curious about the other members in the family. Links to the other pieces are filed under the category Courthouse Steps, Block of the Month. Go ahead and check them out! You won’t be disappointed.
I’ve been working diligently at creating each of the blocks in the book 100 Modern Quilt Blocks by Tula Pink. I am happy to report that I’ve completed the first 75. I think the last time I talked about them I had just completed block number seven so a lot has happened since.
Time For A Break
After completing block 74 I made the decision to stray, for a while, from my mission to make all 100. The last grouping of blocks I had just completed was slightly more complicated than all the rest. After accomplishing those my brain needed a rest. I was exhausted and needed something else to throw my quilting enthusiasm into.
I maintain a box of orphaned quilt blocks and misfit pieces. Every now and then I pull it out and peer inside to see if anything is calling my name. My recent scrounging reminded me that I still had remnants left from the Courthouse Steps debacle waiting for my attention. I’ve shared stories about these blocks in the past. You will find them listed under the category Courthouse Steps, Block of the Month. Feeling the strong desire to wrap up a few loose ends I chose the remaining remnants for my next project.
Ugly because I didn’t like them. They were just too boring for my taste. To make them appealing I had to camouflage their existence. The best way to do that was with a rotary cutter.
Time to Start
One by one I attacked all 6 ugly ducklings with a determination to turn each one into a beautiful swan. The end result created 16 brand new art pieces. All 16 have been quilted and are ready for finishing touches (binding, hanging sleeve and label). I’ll share photos when they are all finished. Until then I will leave you with a a photo of one of my experiments.
Thank You for sharing in my celebration of my newest art pieces! I hope that you will return to watch all 16 unfold.