Quite some time ago I participated in a class taught by Pam Beal at Woodland Ridge Retreat. The class Minimal Design, Maximum Impact focused on creating fiber art pieces that use a limited pallet of colors and/or design features. Today’s reveal has a limited color pallet but definitely not a limited number of stitches.
Testing 1, 2, 3 was assembled from test samples of four different construction methods: fabric strip manipulation, triangles, fractured circles and wedge piecing. All four were merged together to form this art quilt. The new creation was then surrounded by a border of black cotton fabric. Added for embellishment were four wool circles and a myriad of hand quilting stitches. Perle cotton was the primary thread used. To complete the fiber quilt an envelope of black cotton fabric was added to the back along with a hanging sleeve and a label with identifying features. Measuring 20 1/4” x 12 1/4” Testing 1, 2, 3 may be minimal in size but nowhere near minimal in impact.
Thank you for showing your support by visiting my blog. I look forward to our continued relationship and your future comments.
I recently wrote a post about a new-to-me method I wanted to explore. Should I touched on the topic of using stretched canvas to finish an art piece. I’ve heard and read so much about the concept that I decided to give it a try.
The first specimen for my experiment was this one.
Before I could proceed I had to make a number of decisions:
Determine current size
What should the final dimensions be
How much extra fabric would I have to add
Should I add batting behind the extra fabric
Did I want to quilt the extra fabric
Should I finish the raw edges of the added fabric
Once I answered all those questions I had to implement my plan. The process of checking off each of the items on my list went rather smoothly.
The next hurdle was the actual mounting on the canvas. I watched several YouTube videos and read quite a few blog posts about this topic. The videos were the most helpful. The video by Leila Gardunia was my favorite. I lost track of the number of times that I watched it. When I felt confident I could actually attempt to proceed I located our staple gun and extra staples and set the wheels in motion. Being a perfectionist I took a few try’s before I was satisfied. In the end I was rather pleased with the outcome. This is how my canvas mounted art quilt looked when I was finished.
Completing my first go-around with this method gave me the confidence to proceed with my second and third, and well you get the picture. Who knows…this just might be my go-to technique for all my fiber art creations.
This probably isn’t the last time you will hear me mention the topic of canvas mounted artwork. If you want to stay up-to-date with my progress then subscribe to my blog.
Have you ever named an art project and then realized that you have already assigned the name to something else? Well, I have! Twice! The art piece I am showing you today, Cobblestones is the name I gave to Cobblestones, AP # 80.
Both pieces were designed with the same photo in mind.
While they both had the same inspiration their outcomes are totally different.
I am a spreadsheet person. By that I mean that I like to use spreadsheets to organize my life because they are much more reliable than scraps of paper. Of course their reliability hinges upon actually using the app.
After experiencing hurdles in maintaining a reliable list of my art pieces I decided to design a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet would be readily available because I could access it on all of my electronic devices—I almost always have one at my side. I was so proud of myself once the data was entered. While very few things are perfect I had high expectations that this would eliminate duplicate names.
In order for the spreadsheet to reach foolproof status one has to utilize it. Sometimes I’m lazy and resort back to pen and paper. In this instance that is exactly what happened. I was not aware of my dilemma until I sat down to bring my spreadsheet up to date. When I did, I had to make a decision—should I allow them both to maintain the same name or should I change one of them. In the end I chose to change one of the names ever so slightly. Today’s piece was given the modified name, Cobblestones II.
With the explanation for this project’s name revealed let’s take a look at the construction and design. I created my art piece while attending Pam Beal’s class Minimalist Design, Maximum Impact. Cobblestones II, as mentioned earlier, was inspired by a photo I took while attending QSDS.
Unlike it’s very colorful predasessor this art quilt was constructed using only three colors—a soft shade of blue, navy blue and bordeaux. Looking at the photo you will see that the cobblestones were fashioned from navy blue. The process of cutting and stitching the fabric back together created a woven texture or three dimensional appearance. I rather like that look. A border of soft blue was added to surround the cobblestones. Wrapping around all four sides is the bordeaux. The bordeaux creates a large negative space. This negative space creates a generous place for your eye to rest.
To finish my piece I added hand stitching using color coordinated threads. In the upper most bordeaux section I added three simple X’s. In the bottom area I echoed or replicated the cobblestones by stitching a grid pattern.
Cobblestones II has a very striking yet minimalist appearance. I think Pam Beal would be very pleased. Cobblestones II measures 14 1/2 x 8”.