San Clemente 6-Pack Tote

I belong to two quilt guilds. One is considered a Modern quilt guild while the other is Traditional. Just last Saturday I spent the day with a group of women from the traditional quilt guild. The purpose of our rendezvous was to meet new friends and create a San Clemente 6-Pack Bag.

Following a pattern for the very first time can be challenging. Understanding the meaning behind the author’s instructions often takes multiple readings before the words can sink in. This pattern had relatively few stumbling blocks. The one and only MAJOR issue I had occurred at the very beginning. The author instructs the reader to cut all of the pattern pieces perpendicular to the selvage. I am well acquainted with the term perpendicular. Being acquainted with and actually applying that knowledge appropriately are two different concepts.

Without thinking, I began cutting my pattern pieces parallel to the selvage. Unfortunately I didn’t realize the error of my ways until I was one-third of the way through the process. I have no idea what finally made the light go on. All I can say is that I am really thankful that it did.

Not being completely finished meant I still had options. When I realized what had happened, the leader of the event was on the opposite side of the room. From where she was standing she could see my look of exasperation. In no time she was by my side offering solutions to my dilemma. Together we mapped out a plan.

Armed with a little ingenuity and a bit of luck I was able to successfully complete my San Clemente tote. If you compare mine with the photo here you will see a slight difference. All that really matters though is whether or not I am pleased with the end result. The answer to that question is ABSOLUTELY!

Here’s my project.


Camo iPad Tote

Free Fabric!

Before we get started with today’s post let my remind you of my First Anniversary’s Give-Away.  I’m celebrating this blog’s first anniversary by giving away a free charm pack.  Check out the link above for the specifics.  You wouldn’t want to miss out on a chance to get free fabric.  Now on to today’s WIP post.


Not too long ago I assembled a tutorial showcasing the construction of a Tag-Along tote. Before embarking on the construction of the Tag-Along I had begun a quest to make a tote suitable for my iPad and keyboard.  Being unsatisfied with the options available I went through the process of developing my own pattern.  My first mock-up showed room for improvement.  Since I already had the pattern for the Tag-Along I decided to try it out as an alternative.  As I assembled the tote I made numerous changes to the pattern.  While I am quite pleased with my finished product there were things about the Tag-Along I just wasn’t happy with so I went back to the drawing board and resurrected My Original design.

My Original Design

This time around I set out to overcome the issues I had with my first mock-up.  Missing on the first attempt were handles, a pocket for miscellaneous items and tabs to keep each pocket as well as the entire case securely closed.  I also had to address the inadequate size as well as the flimsiness of the layers.  Below are photos of my second attempt.


As you can see this tote was definitely made using fabrics not typically in my stash.  Since the finished project was destined for my husband I let him choose the fabrics.  He was quite thrilled to be in charge of the selections.  I felt a bit strange going to the fabric store’s cutting table with a cart loaded with camouflage, bright orange, black and green bolts of fabric.

If you examine this second tote you will notice my first change.  Not only does this specimen have handles but they wrap completely around the tote.  I felt the handles would provide more security if they were not just attached at the top.  You can also see that I added a closure tab.


Here’s a photo of the inside.  Note each pocket now has a tab closure.  Also added was the pocket for miscellaneous items (look for the camouflage fabric).


From this picture you can see that I made the pockets much deeper.  This time the iPad does not extend above the top edge of the pocket.  Obviously the iPad shown is not my husband’s.  He would never have a pink case on his.  For display purposes I used my own.

My Review

Granted nothing is ever perfect.  I however have plans for a third tote.  With this experiment I want to change the width of the handle, add a pocket for pens and use stabilizers that are not quite so sturdy.  Well, at least that’s what I have in mind so far.  It’s entirely possible there may just be a fourth and fifth version.  Who knows what will happen along my journey to improvement?

I’m Linking Up

I’m linking up this post with Freshly Pieced.  Go see what they are up to.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Life After My Tag-Along


I poured my heart and soul into the construction of my Tag-Along tote for a recent competition. Much to my disappointment my tote did not make it past the initial elimination phase. With so much energy dedicated to that project not much time was left for anything else. I did however manage to start a quilt.

Simply Color

I’m using a charm pack called Simply Color. My dream is to finish and enter the quilt into an upcoming show in Madison. Whether or not I can direct enough focus towards its quick completion is the question. It needs to be assembled, quilted,and bound in order to be ready. Cross your fingers!


Here’s A Sneak Peak


Still In Line

Still on deck are these little gems.


Miranda Day Bag


Encore Purse Insert


Messenger Bag

Time to link up with Freshly Pieced.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced